Batch Cook at Christmas… More Time for You
What is the one thing that you wish you had more time to do?
I think you can see where I am going with this… One of the things that I love to do is eat. No wait- I love to cook. Health concerns, timetable, family, work and all of the things that consume our time can sometimes get in the way of what we really love to do. The one thing I hear mums saying all of the time is they simply
Whilst this is certainly a reality for almost all of us- I challenge you with this. What if we could find a way to save time? What if there were a few things that you could do each day or every night, or a few times a week that would save you time?
Creating more times for mums within their existing time table is my absolute delight. It has taken me almost 20 years to work out exactly what it is I love, and I have made so many mistakes, ruined relationships and walked in and out of several jobs- the truth is. My life is not solely focused on the pursuit of happiness, HOWEVER, why on earth should we be miserable for nine to twelve hours out of each day? It breaks my heart, it makes my brain hurt. It also makes me wonder how do I help people, more specifically mothers, fathers do what they love, without the guilt trip AND earn a living?
I started with myself because the only other person I know as well as I know myself is my husband- so in truly knowing myself- I had to workout what made me tick and if other mothers were ticking in the same way. One of my major ticks is not having enough time to cook the food I love.
I know were wondering when I would make my point. There you go.
So I have over the past few years developed a few hacks for BATCH COOKING. The reason I love batch cooking is because it saves so much time during the day, and at the end of the day when I am tired- I do not feel guilty about not having done something I said I would do, like cooking or cleaning. This system may not work for you, and that is o.k. But what is not ok is BURNOUT- fried Mum. Not sexy, not healthy, not fun.
Here are a few things that you can try that might help you to save time over the Christmas holidays:
- Create a menu based on the meals you and your family love- do this with your family, then no can complain about the meals.
- Shop according to the menu.
- Buy your staple items in bulk- so for us that might be fresh (frozen) onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, scotch bonnet peppers, olive oil/sesame oil, pasta/rice and the beans and or fish/meat.
- Buy all of your base items already chopped… I know some mums hate to cook this way- but I simply do not have the time to cut onions… (Sorry Mum).
- Then…create your own personal combination of a flavour filled (already chopped- no blending needed) mixture, just add all of your base ingredients to a glass jar for the fridge or safe plastic container for the freezer.
- This base mixture can simply be added to a little saucepan + olive oil, or to already soaked beans, veg, meat- whilst your food is cooking, put a load of laundry on and fill your kitchen with your favourite aromas. Go on… you know you want to.
- Freeze the rest of your mixture – ready for another day.
- Whilst you are waiting for your protein element of your meal to cook, simmer, only cook enough pasta or rice for that day- it never tastes the same the next day- waste not-want not.
- This is where I feel I have saved the most time, I cook twice as much of the curry, stew, stir-fry or whatever and only half of the extra veg/rice because once the first batch is ready then ANYONE- I mean ANYONE – Nanny, Nana, Opa, teenage Dream Queen or King, Hubby can simply put on a pot of rice or pasta the next day.
- Does sweet mummy have to cook again the next day or the day after that? No.
- Done and sold to the beautiful woman, in the green, in the back.
I know this may not seem as simple as I have made it look, but I can guarantee you that if you start system like mine or something similar, at the end of each day, each week, you will start to see the difference in the hours that you save. I think they key is definitely some forward planning, organization and resources.
How can I best serve you? Well, that is entirely up to you. But what I do have available is a FREE Discovery CALL, during which, we can, in 15 minutes or less, just find out what causing you the most stress as a mum. Then we can talk a little bit about resources- if you want book a full session with me, resources included and freebies for the teenies then we will secure your session in your discovery call and take it from there. I have been doing this mum thing for 18 years… I know how to help you.
So why not drop me a line today?
- Email me email@example.com
- Tell me if you found the blog helpful.
- Book your FREE Discovery Call ASAP.
Teaching Mums Ltd
+44 (0) 7479 535 689
Mums | Qualified Teachers |Consultants
Motherhood | Parenting | Education | Impact
Does your child need help with English?
Do you know another family that would benefit from high quality teaching from qualified teachers?
Yes? Share this blog with a friend or relative.
No? Share your concerns, feedback and new exciting ideas here firstname.lastname@example.org
Coaching for Women
Books and Resources